Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Keith Morris Gray, died July 1, 1942 'Lest We Forget'

It is ANZAC (Australia and New Zealand Army Corp), April 25. It is the day we remember those who past and present have fought (and many cases died) for our freedon in Australia.

My uncle Keith Morris Gray, was one such hero. He forged his parents signature (as he was only 17) to go to New Britian as a medic When Rabaul fell to the Japanese, he stayed behind to tend the sick and was taken prisioner of the Japanese. 1053 Australian troops and civilians (who had been interned in Raboul by the Japanese) were loaded onto the Montevideo Maru ship which was consequently sunk in the China sea off the coast of the Philippines on July1, 1942. All lives were lost, this is the worst of all Australian maritime disasters. This ship has never been found.

Keith was my dad's younger brother, being born in 1921, and dad still carries a picture of Keith in his bible. I never knew my uncle, but we were always told about him, he was the baby of the family having four brothers and one sister older than him.

I do not know if there is anywhere the names of those who where lost in the sinking of the Montevideo Maru, other than the website I found Keith's name, and I thank Keith Jackson for this site, are listed to be remembered at ANZAC day, however for all the Gray family, I am remembering Keith Morris Gray today and trust that somewhere, somehow he knows he will never be forgotten 'Lest We Forget'.

No comments:

Post a Comment